The Department of Biotechnology, started in the year 2005, grew into School of Biotechnology in the year 2007 and evolved into the School of Biotechnology and Health Sciences in the year 2009. The objective of the Department is to provide excellent teaching, practical facilities, research facilities and consultancy services in the frontier areas of Biotechnology.
To raise holistic and value based bio-technocrats and entrepreneurs who develop processes and products for the betterment of the community and environment.
To raise students with academic excellence, professional competence with good ethics.
To find solutions to human problems in areas relating to Water, Food, Health Care and Energy through scientific, social and technological research.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- Engineering Graduates will be able to
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering to solve the problems related to biotechnology.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate and analyze the complex problem in biotechnology and provide appropriate conclusions using principles of engineering & sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex bio-based problems and design process that address the specified needs for the public health, safety and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Design experiments, analyze, interpret data and synthesize information using knowledge based research tools to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, software resources and modern engineering tools for prediction and modeling of complex engineering problems to understand the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Rational use of contextual knowledge to asses societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand and exhibit the knowledge vital for sustainable development in societal and environmental contexts using the professional engineering solutions.
- Ethics: Inculcate ethical principles to imbibe professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, member or leader of diverse teams in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Effectively communicate with engineering community on activities relevant to society at large and comprehend reports & documentation, make effective presentations and exchange clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Create competency in engineering management and finance principles and apply these in multidisciplinary team environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for independent and life-long learning experience for a lucrative professional career.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Graduates have strong knowledge in the field of biotechnology and applied sciences.
- Graduates will design and conduct experiments in biotechnology as well as analyze and interpret data.
- Graduates will use current techniques, skills and modern tools necessary for modeling and design of bioprocesses.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide the necessary background in basic sciences like physics, chemistry, Computers and advanced mathematics and to provide opportunity for students for gaining knowledge in multidisciplinary subjects and labs.
- To provide training to design and solve problems relevant to the general practice of Biotechnological process development, product optimization, commercialization and social application taking into account their impacts on environment.
- To impart job related skills in the field of biotechnology with the awareness on professional codes and bioethical practices.
- To promote lifelong learning process for a successful professional career in industries and research organizations leading to successful employability.
We at the Department of Biotechnology aspire to establish a system of Quality Assurance, which would on a continuous basis evaluate and monitor the quality of education and training imparted at this University, improve the teaching learning process and ultimately develop the Department into a Centre of Excellence.
Received “Best Department award” from 2009 onwards