2.1 B. Tech Food processing & Engineering
To provide a framework with achievable goals for the betterment of the students, the society especially women and the underprivileged for the ultimate betterment of the nutritional and economic status of the nation
B.Tech Food processing & Engineering Full time 4 years; Lateral entry 3 years
Eligibility: (Full time 4 years)
A pass in 10+2 or equivalent examination with 45% marks aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (or) A pass in 10+2 or equivalent examination with 45% marks aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology / Zoology / Botany / Computer Science (Provided the candidate has not studied Mathematics in +2 or Equivalent).
Lateral entry 3 years
Diploma in Food Processing and Preservation / Chemical Engineering / Agricultural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering / B.Sc. in Food Sciences / Food Sciences and Quality Control / Food Nutrition and Dietetics / Food Technology / Biochemistry / Mathematics / Microbiology / Biotechnology / Chemistry / Physics or Equivalent Diploma / B.Sc. Degree/ Chemistry / Physics or Equivalent Diploma / B.Sc. Degree.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO's)
The educational objectives of a programme are the statements that describe the expected achievements of graduates within first few years of their graduation from the programme. The programme objectives, may be guided by global and local needs, vision of the Institution, long term goals etc. For defining the program objectives the faculty members of the programme must continuously work with local employers, industry and RD advisors, and the alumni. The objectives of a programme can be broadly defined on five counts :
- Preparation: To prepare students to excel in postgraduate programmes or to succeed in industry / technical profession through global, rigorous education.
- Core Competence: To provide students with a solid foundation in mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals required to solve engineering problems and also to pursue higher studies.
- Breadth: To train students with good scientific and engineering breadth so as to comprehend, analyze, design, and create novel products and solutions for the real life problems.
- Professionalism: To inculcate in students professional and ethical attitude, effective communication skills, teamwork skills, multidisciplinary approach, and an ability to relate engineering issues to broader social context.
- Learning Environment: To provide student with an academic environment aware of excellence, leadership, written ethical codes and guidelines, and the life-long learning needed for a successful professional career.
Within above five broad categories, each programme may define its own objectives appropriate for the specific discipline.
- Graduates will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of basic sciences including, Mathematics, Physics , Chemistry, Environmental Sciences and other basic engineering subjects like Civil Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer programming
- Graduates will acquire the knowledge of Food chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology and additives and appreciate the importance of these in solving practical problems related to Food processing and preservation.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate and solve problems related to Food Engineering and Technology like Cereal Technology, Dairy, Meat, confectionery, Food Packaging etc.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to design a system, component or process as per needs and specifications of the Food Industry.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to visualize and work on laboratory and multidisciplinary approach to solve problems relating to Food Processing and Engineering Industry.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Graduates will demonstrate the importance of economics in designing processes and products and deliver appropriate solutions.
- Graduate will be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Graduate will develop confidence for self education and ability for life-long learning.
- Graduate will develop competence the ability to participate and succeed in competitive examinations including GATE, GRE, CAT etc.
2.2 M.Tech Food processing & Engineering 2 years
From 2005 onwards
M.Tech in Food processing and Engineering is a two years full time programme. This programme aims to provide a specialized education in important areas in Food Processing Engineering, Quality indices of food materials, New product development, Technology for traditional products and Non-thermal methods of food preservation
B.E/B Tech in Food processing and engineering, Food processing, Food technology, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering or Equivalent.
2.3 M.Phil Full time and Part time
2.4 Certificate courses
- Certificate Course in Food and Nutrition
- Certificate Course in Food and Safety
2.5.1List of faculty members having guide-ships with research areas
|Dr. T.V. Ranganathan M.Sc.(Tech), Ph.D.(Tech)||Convenience foods, Traditional Product technology, Nutraceuticals, Encapsulation technology and Food Chemistry|
|Dr. S. Gobikrishnan, M.Tech, Ph.D||Design of food engineering Equipments, Biomass|
|Dr. A. Nishad M.Sc, Ph.D||Food chemistry, Functional Foods and Food Biochemistry|
|Dr. R.Emilin Renitta M.Sc, Ph.D||Food Microbiology, Cereals and pulses technology|
|Dr. M.M.Pragalyaashree M.Tech, Ph.D||Modified atmosphere Packaging of culinary herbs, Design and development of farm equipment, Cold plasma technology and Biodegradable packaging.|
2.5.2 List of scholars doing their Ph.D with Supervisor details
|Dr. T.V. Ranganathan M.Sc.(Tech), Ph.D.(Tech)||1. A.Allwyn Sundar Raj (RR11FS001) 2. J.Prem Kumar (RR11FS002)|
|Dr. S. Gobikrishnan, M.Tech, Ph.D||1. S. Aruna (RR14FS001) 2. A.Reni (RP11FS005)|
|Dr. A. Nishad M.Sc, Ph.D||Shilu Leslie (RP13FS001)|
|Dr. R.Emilin Renitta M.Sc, Ph.D||C.L Victoria Rise (RR16BT003)|