Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, was founded with the noble vision to raise professionals and leaders of high academic calibre and unblemished character, nurtured with a strong motivation and commitment to serve humanity. The institution is the fulfillment of the vision of its founders Late Dr. D. G. S. Dhinakaran and the present Chancellor Dr. Paul Dhinakaran. Established in 1986 as an Engineering College, it was granted an autonomous status in 1999 and declared Deemed-to-be University by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in recognition of its academic excellence by the Ministry of Human Resources Development under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 vide notification no 9-3-2000-U3 dated 23.6.2004 of the Government of India. Accredited by NAAC, the institution offers a wide array of Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral Degree programmes in various branches of Engineering, Biotechnology, Food processing and Agricultural Sciences. From a humble beginning of 180 students, the institution has rapidly grown to 8491 students and 452 faculty representing 18 academic departments.
In the three decades of service to higher education, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences has made significant progression in teaching learning, research and consultancy, innovation and transfer of technology, community service and value education. Translating the vision of the Founders into action, the institution is currently engaged in finding solutions to human problems in the four major areas such as Water, Food, Healthcare, and Energy through scientific and technological interventions.
- True to its name Karunya which means 'Compassion' shall be an institution with social concern to address the problems of humanity through technical education, research and development, products, patents and extension.
- The faculty and students of Karunya will be nurtured in character, ethics and spiritual discernment to serve the society with fervor and zeal.
- To raise students to serve humanity by attaining high levels of academic excellence and professional competence with exemplary values and social concern.
- To find solutions to human problems in areas relating to water, food, health and sustainable energy through scientific, social and technological research.
- To setup care homes for physically and mentally challenged, the elderly and the terminally ill, enabling students to understand human needs through participation and dedication, solving problems through research, development, innovation and spiritual care.
Karunya Institute of Technology
NBA Accreditation 'A' Grade for four programmes
Autonomous Engineering College
NAAC Accreditation 'A' Grade
Deemed to be University
Establishment of Food Processing R&D Lab
Establishment of Solar & Wind Energy Lab
NBA Accreditation for two programmes
Engineering Rank : 44
University Rank : 48
Engineering Rank : 62
University Rank : 74
Engineering Rank : 72
University Rank : 89
NBA Accreditation for three programmes
Engineering Rank : 72
University Rank : 92
The Karunya Emblem has a human face to indicate that the well being of humanity is central to our entire endeavors and that we shall never forget them in the midst of our equations and diagrams. The symbol has a gear wheel as the human eye, in appreciation of the importance of technology in today’s world. The lighted torch stands for the light of knowledge, the light that promises moral, social and economic well being; The hand holding the torch depicts Karunya’s contribution towards enlightening the young minds by spreading knowledge through education. The motto ‘ARISE AND SHINE’ is a motivation to the youth to shine in their respective fields of study. To sum up, Karunya’s emblem reflects the institution's mission in creation and dissemination of knowledge, value addition to men and materials and optimization of human potential for national development in all its ramifications for a bright future.