Division of Biomedical at Karunya University
Division of Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering @ Karunya
Biomedical Engineering is a multidisciplinary field that blends biology and engineering. This discipline encompasses the profound knowledge of biological principles in the realm of engineering design. The department of Biomedical Engineering was established in the year 2009 and has maintained an exceptional track record in academics, placement, industrial training and research activities. Biomedical engineering has a direct effect on human life thus making it different and attractive from other streams of engineering. The ever increasing demand for Biomedical Engineers is pertinent to our society’s affinity towards efficient and convenient healthcare. Biomedical engineering being a interdisciplinary field has almost endless possibilities and there is growing need of large scale investments to endorse quality education to train biomedical engineers to provide innovative and cost effective health care solutions.
Our curriculum is carefully designed to ensure that the students develop a strong base in biomedical engineering and also to familiarise them with other engineering disciplines which could equip them to work on a multidisciplinary innovative platform. The program gives prime importance to creative and independent thinking and facilitates problem solving attitude via various real-time exposure and laboratory sessions. The huge breadth in the field of biomedical engineering allows students to choose from a wide range of research and higher studies options and also is a discipline that assures placements in hospital, medical equipment manufacturing and servicing companies, medical coding concerns, signal and image processing sectors in IT concern. Also it has widespread research domain area where students can shine and do wonders in the society.
To be a pre-eminent learning and research center in biomedical engineering, and raise competent professionals and researchers dedicated to community development and nation-building.
To empower students with in-depth knowledge in the field of Biomedical Engineering and equip them with problem solving abilities.
To upskill students in translational research and promote innovation and entrepreneurship leading to publications, patents and products.
To instill professional, social, and ethical principles among students contributing to the sustainable development of society through technological interventions.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Design/ Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
I did M.Tech Biomedical Instrumentation that gave me everything that I had planned. Karunya gave me opportunities to harness the Leadership potential within me. It was a very good experience to improve myself. I got the University Gold Medal securing first Rank. I am very grateful to my faculty members.
It's was a really good experience in Brazil!! My work was really interesting and challenging. My work was in the field of hypertension and critical care anesthetics. The atmosphere of the host university was very good. The star moments were the cultural and technical collaborations along with 27 countries representing. On the whole, it was a wonderful experience in Brazil. Heart stays back in, special thanks to Karunya IE department and IAESTE!
It was an amazing journey and experience to be in God's own country.! If not for Karunya I doubt if that would have been possible me. All our department faculty and administration helped us in every possible way. I was given opportunities to take subjects from different genres and study and I did battle over the Bible which was a comparison study of all the three Muslim Jewish and Christian bibles. Medical ethics and biotechnology, and a subject on history of Israeli film. I also worked on some major projects, I worked in a National biotech lab of the Negev, on reprogramming of human progenitors into hematopoietic stem cells. I also got to visit most of the historical places mentioned in the Bible. I was also members at the church of Kehila in Beersheba in which we actively participated in every activity that was conducted..! On the whole it was an amazing time of 5 months with complete joy and happiness with loads of good memories and achievements in out college life.
As a freshman in karunya, I was in much fear about my future thinking of where I will be after four years. Passing every day seemed hard. Eventually, I found comfort and encouragement from God through the prayer events that were conducted, especially the morning assemblies. I was encouraged to set a goal for my life and started marching towards it. Thought it was hard in the beginning, I gained strength by the grace of God. With the urge and the passion to do internship abroad, I began to work towards achieving it. By the grace of God and with the help of my mentor, my Hod, and especially the director of exchange affairs, my dream became a reality and I did my exchange studies in Israel's, Ben Gurion University of the Negev during my final year for a period of six months. With much joy, I could say that Karunya had given me the excellent opportunity to achieve my dream, had taught me life and the values that shaped me as a better human being. I sincerely feel grateful and humbled for all the blessings I received as being a part of the Karunya family.
Division of Biomedical Engineering
Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences
Coimbatore, India- 641114.
Phone No: 0422-2614432.