Centers of Excellence
MoA with Emurgo and Certification Course on Blockchain
On November 25, 2019, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences has signed MoA with EMURGO Academy, an education arm of EMURGO.
- To provide the students of KITS with
- Training in blockchain technology through certification course
- Opportunity to do an internship with EMURGO
- Opportunities to work on live projects
- Exposure to international forums
- To assist in Curriculum development on Blockchain related courses
Certification Course on
|Title of the course||Foundation of Blockchain|
|Objective of the course||This program provides an in-depth, foundational understanding of the pillars of blockchain technology. The learner will learn to critically evaluate the tools, common practices and understand the processes powering this disruptive technology|
|Certificate||EMURGO Digital Badge|
|Course Content||Blockchain – What/Why/future/Transactions/Types, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Consensus Algorithm, DApp, Smart contracts, assessment|
|Industry Demand||Blockchain is the leading technology of the era, having its demand not only in Banking and Financial services, but also in Healthcare, Media and Entertainment, Retail and Customer Goods, Travel and Transportation, Government, etc.|
Fortinet Network Security Academy
Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences has signed an agreement with Fortinet Network Security Academy.
- The Agreement enables students to get training and certifications at free of cost.
- Fortinet NSE certification curricula prepares the students for a career in cyber security.
- Enables Fortinet certification through lecture and hands-on practical application. Academies have access to VM licenses necessary to perform lab exercises.
- Fortinet provides student/participant Pearson Vue exam vouchers to achieve an industry recognized network security certification.
Further details can be obtained from Dr. Jaspher Katherine/Prof. Vinodh Ewards, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, KITS.
Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences has signed an agreement with EC-Council for EC-Council Academia Partner program.
- The benefits and resources include, but are not limited to
- Support for the M.Tech. Cyber Security program.
- Access to robust EC-Council Academia syllabi.
- Faculty discounts and scholarships.
- Cyber competition discounts and scholarships.
- Exclusive launch, sneak-peak, and beta testing opportunities.
- Student discount rates and exam eligibility.
- EC-Council Testing Center (ETC) Resources.
SUSE Center of Excellence for Cloud Computing
Department of Computer Science and Engineering signed an MoA with the SUSE Academic program, SUSE Software Solutions, Ireland, on 29th November 2019.
The department of CSE has established a relationship and signed the first agreement with Novell(SUSE was a Partner) in the year 2010. Because of the tremendous academic support and guidance by Novell, the CSE department started offering SUSE Certified Administrator (SCA) in Enterprise Linux certification program in 2010. Based on the fruitful partnership in the past years, the relationship was further strengthened as Novell started supporting our M.Tech program in the year 2014. Besides, a Center of Excellence for Cloud Computing was established in KITS premises.
This new strategic partnership with SUSE enables us to take the teaching and learning process on par with the industry demands:
- Endorse and support B.Tech - Computer Science and Engineering and M.Tech Computer Science and Engineering.
- Empowered to offer Linux Certification training to the students and faulty by a certified university faculty/staff.
- Support placements in SUSE's Academic Program partner's page.
- Continuous support to run the center of excellence with necessary branding, logo, and signage
- SUSE’s Coimbatore partner trainings in the center of excellence
- Karunya students and faculty can gain access to online SUSE Academy at free of cost.
- Training: Materials for certified Linux and other courses, both for trainers and students.
- Curriculum: Campus-use of these materials for student education by faculty staff.
- Use SUSE for education: Use SUSE products for free for educational or lab purposes.
- Development Resources: Access to tools and products for use in the lab, software development, or other education settings.
- Support: Access to knowledge base, forums and technical support.
SUSE Center of Excellence for Cloud Computing
|1||Supermicro Super Storge Server||1|
|2||Super Miro Server (8 Blades)||1|
|3||Dell Power Edge R220 1U Rack Server||1|
|4||Dell Power Edge R730 Server||1|
|5||APW Smart Rack 42U||1|
|6||CISCO SG 92-24-AS-24 port 10/100/1000||1|
|7||CISCO SG-300 28 Port Managed Switch||2|
|8||CISCO C1921 Modular Router, 2 GE||1|
|9||Aruba Wireless Access Point||1|
|10||AP-220 Series Mount Kit||1|
|11||Dell Optiplex 3020 Desktop||21|
|12||Desktop Computers HP||7|
|13||Rasberry PI 3 Model B 1GB RAM 1.2 Ghz 64 bit Quad Core with 802.11 wifi complete kit with black case||2|
|14||Rasberry PI Fondation Display 7" Touch Screen||1|
|15||Rasberry PI Barebone Touch Screen Display case||1|
|16||Robodo Electronic DHT11 Temperature Humidity Sensor||1|
|17||Secu Gen Hu20 Hamester Pro20 Finger print Scanner||1|
|18||Fisheye V380 Panoramic Camera||1|
|19||Transcend External DVD Writer||1|
|20||Sony Projector VPL-Ex241||2|
The Computing Security Research (CSR) Lab is an advanced research centre in the department of Computer Sciences Technology to provide a state of the art environment for research scholars, UG/PG students and faculty to pursue research in the areas of Security for Networks, Cloud Computing, Big Data Internet of Things, Software Defined Networks, etc. Many UG and PG project are being done in the Computing Security Research lab. The main areas of research that are being analyzed at present are:
This centre of excellence undertakes the following activities:
- Workshops/Seminars in the area of computing security
- Online Webinars – Faculty/Students
- Publications / Project
- Infrastructure Enhancement
- Program core curriculum lab support
To develop the student’s knowledge on cutting edge cyber security technologies, some technical events were organized by the CSR Lab. Resource person were trained experts and they delivered lectures with hands on in areas of cyber forensics and research areas in Fog and Cloud Computing.
- On 25th April 2014, Mr. Benedict Johnson, McAfee, Bangalore, participated as an external expert to contribute for the updation of the security lab syllabus. Six faculty members of the computing security research group attended it and the syllabus for 14CS2022-Information Security Lab, 14CS2032-Network Security Lab, 14CS3022 Computing Security lab and 14CS3025 Internetworking and Security Lab were updated.
- A Seminar was organized on the topic “Web Application Security” on 12th September 2014 by Mr. K. Nirmal, Project Engineer-Security Testing, Wipro Technologies, Bangalore, to update the students in the knowledge on the security threats with respect to its web application stature. 20 participants participated in the seminar.
- An interactive seminar was organized on the topic “Software development life cycle” on 14th September 2014 by Mr. Rajesh Varadarajan, Senior Software Engineer, Icontel AG, Zurich, Switzerland, to ensure the knowledge on the real-time usage of the secure software development techniques and the Unified modelling language diagrams for the software.
- A Hands on Workshop on “Digital Forensics Artifact: Dig- for-Art” was organized on 15th & 16th of February 2018. The resource persons were Mr. Ashok Kumar Mohan and Ms. Santhya R, Research Associates of Amritha Vishwa Vidyapeetham. The event had 71 participants.
- A two days national level workshop on Fog and Cloud computing was organized on 24thFebruary 2018. The resource person for the topic “Computing security research issues in Fog and Cloud Computing” was Dr. G. Jaspher W. Kathrine. The event had 60 participants.
|S. No||Title of the webinar||Topics||Date||No. of Participants|
Cyber Training through ECCouncil
1.Ethical Hacking and the needs of improvement
2. Practical platform updation for identifying new attacks.
March 15, 2018
Demystifying Deep Learning: Semantic Segmentation and Deployment by Abhijit Bhattacharjee is a Senior Application Engineer at MathWorks
Computer Vision System, GPU Coder, Image Processing, Neural Networks and parallel Computing.
CSR Lab is associated with the Computing Security Research Group of CST. The aim of the group is to guide both the students and faculty in terms of research in the area of computing security. Facilities in the centre has been utilized extensively to do research and publish papers in renowned Scopus indexed journals and conferences.
- Gulzan Esther, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Susanna, D. Shibin, "Efficient Intrusion Detection using machine learning techniques", International Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, Special Issue 03, pp. 1045-1050, 2018.
- Susanna, D. Shibin, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Gulzan Esther, “Enhancing user authentication for mobile wallet using cryptographic mechanism”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, Special Issue 05, pp. 891-897, 2018.
- Esther Daniel, N. A. Vasanthi, “LDAP: a lightweight deduplication and auditing protocol for secure data storage in cloud environment”, Cluster Computing, Springer Publication, 2017. Jaspher W. Kathrine, E. Kirubakaran, Elijah Blessing Rajsingh, “Enhancing security of electronic health records through grid-based user authentication scheme”, International Journal of Information and Communication Technology, Inderscience Publication, Vol. 6, No.2, pp.109-121, 2014. 6. G. Jaspher W. Kathrine, E. Kirubakaran, Elijah Blessing Rajsingh, “Efficient Biometric Template based Authentication Scheme for Grid Environment”, Special Issue of International Journal of Tomography and Simulation (IJTS) [ISSN 2319-3336], CESER Publication, Vol.26, Issue No. 2, pp.26-37, 2014.
- Allen Oommen Joseph, G. Jaspher W. Kathrine, Rohit Vijayan, “Cloud Security Mechanisms for Data Protection: A Survey”, International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, SERC publication, Vol.9, No.9, pp.81-90, 2014.
- Jaspher W. Kathrine, E. Kirubakaran, Elijah Blessing Rajsingh, “Enhancing security of electronic health records through grid-based user authentication scheme”, International Journal of Information and Communication Technology, Inderscience Publication, Vol. 6, No.2, pp.109-121, 2014.
- Jaspher W. Kathrine, E. Kirubakaran, Elijah Blessing Rajsingh, “Efficient Biometric Template based Authentication Scheme for Grid Environment”, Special Issue of International Journal of Tomography and Simulation (IJTS) [ISSN 2319-3336], CESER Publication, Vol.26, Issue No. 2, pp.26-37, 2014.
- Nishanth Rajkumar, Austen D’Souza, G. Jaspher W. Kathrine, Sagaya Alex, “Long Short Term Memory based Recurrent Neural Network approach for intrusion detection”, International Conference on Computational Vision and Bio-Engineering, 2018.
- Gulzan Esther, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Susanna, D. Shibin, "Efficient Intrusion Detection using machine learning techniques", proceedings of International Conference on Engineering and Advancement in Technology, pp. 229, 2018.
- Susanna, D. Shibin, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Gulzan Esther, “Enhancing user authentication for mobile wallet using cryptographic mechanism”, proceedings of the International conference on Engineering and Advancement in Technology, pp.1, 2018.
- Gulzan Esther, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Susanna, D. Shibin, "A Comprehensive Overview on Cloud Server Attacks in Cloud Environment", proceedings of International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Computers, Communication, Mechanical and Computing (EECCMC), pp. 509 - 514, 2018. To be indexed in Scopus.
- Susanna, D. Shibin, G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, A. Gulzan Esther, “Extensive Study on Security Mechanisms for Data Outsourcing in Mobile Cloud Computing”, International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Computers, Communication, Mechanical and Computing (EECCMC), pp. 336-492, 2018. To be indexed in Scopus.
- D, Dr. G. Jaspher W. Kathrine, “A comprehensive overview on secure offloading in mobile cloud computing”, Proceeding of IEEE sponsored 4th International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems, (ICECS 2017), pp.121-124, 2017.
- G. Jaspher Willsie Kathrine, “A secure framework for enhancing user authentication in cloud environment using Biometrics”, in proceedings of International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication, ICSPC, pp.283-287, 2017.
- Shibin David, G. Jaspher W. Kathrine, “A panoramic overview on fast encryption techniques for outsourced data in mobile cloud computing environment”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Inventive Computing and Informatics (ICICI 2017), pp. 476-480, 2017. To be indexed in Scopus.
Hardware Facility Available:
|1||Desktop Computer||Optiplex 5050 SFF||5|
|2||Desktop Computer||OPTIPLEX 7020 - SFF||5|
|3||Desktop Computer||VOSTRO 3900||5|
|10||Server||Power Edge R430||1|
IBM Big Data software Centre of Excellence
The IBM Big Data Software Centre of Excellence is an initiative with a vision to enable the students and faculty in higher education to gain the relevant skills in Big Data Analytics, experiential learning and to make them adept with latest Big Data technology and tools. Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences signed an MoU with IBM India Pvt Ltd on August 2015. The objective of this collaboration is to have a number of students graduating from the institution skilled in industry requirements, using best-in-class IBM Software in Big Data Analytics.
Researchers in this center, including faculty and scholars are involved in research projects on Bio-medical text mining, Analytics in surveillance videos, Data Analytics on Social Media data, Drug Analysis, Predictive Analytics for cancer, fraudulent data Analytics, and traffic data analytics.
The IBM CoE offers:
- Industry certified courses
- Internships and Entrepreneurship support from leading Industries.
- FDP for faculty members, Workshops seminars, Webinars for students
- Miniprojects, Half Semester projects and full semester projects
- Specialized curriculum on Big Data Technologies created by Karunya Institute of Technology & Sciences in collaboration with the Industry Experts
- IBM Specialized Big Data Lab is equipped with:
- IBM Big Data Software - Infosphere BigInsight, Datastage, Streams
- IBM Datawarehouse for analytics -IBM Netezza.
- Industry mentors for Project and career support
- Project Competitions and Hackathons
IBM Big Data software Centre of Excellence - Lab set up
The IBM Lab set up consists of the following hardware and software products from IBM:
The IBM Netezza 100 is an easy-to-use appliance that requires minimal tuning and administration, speeding up application development. As a commodity based appliance, IBM Netezza 100 is a very affordable analytic option, delivering up to 10 TB of user data capacity in a compact physical and environmental footprint.
The following are the value-added products (Software) provided by IBM along with the Netezza-100 appliance (Hardware)
- Data Integration & Transformation - InfoSphereDataStage Workgroup
- Hadoop Data Services - InfoSphereBigInsights Enterprise Edition
- Real-time Analytics - InfoSphere Streams Developer Edition
Data Integration and Transformation will be supported by InfosphereDataStage, Structured Data Analysis by Netezza Analytics, Unstructured Data Analysis by InfoSphereBigInsights (IBM’s flavor of Hadoop), Real Time Analytical Processing by InfoSphere Streams.
A four node Hadoop cluster with IBM Big Insight is deployed for the students and research scholars doing their project in data analytics. All the systems are connected to the Netezza appliance for training and research purpose. Certification Courses
The department offers IBM certification courses to students. Twelve of our faculties were trained in Big data analytics and IBM Cloud Application Development certification. Around 130 students have undergone the certification training last year. Currently IBM Cloud Application Developer Certification course is offered by the IBM CoE.
- Two of our students Gabriel and Rinaldo Rex did their internship in IBM India Pvt Ltd, Bangalore.
- Every year during the Mindkraft, the IBM CoE organizes “Hackathon” supported by IBM India Pvt Ltd.
- In the year 2018 90 students participated in the IBM’s project Contest “Call for Code” on the topic Natural Disaster and came out with twenty-five projects.
Dr. A.Shamila Ebenezer, AP/CST
Mr. John Livingston, AP/CST
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering had signed MoU with CISCO Systems, Bangalore on 5-11-2007. The CISCO centre of excellence on Advanced Networking available in the department provides world class networking infrastructure. The faculty members have been constantly trained by CISCO Networking Academy, to offer the latest industry relevant networking curriculum. The Department is offering the certification course CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) to the students since 2007. The course provides practical hands-on experience to the students on networking concepts during the 110 hours of the course.
As per the CISCO requirements, the CCNA course is divided into following four modules:
- Networking fundamentals
- Routing protocols and concepts
- LAN switching and wireless
- Accessing the WAN
The CISCO Centre of Excellence is equipped with sophisticated CISCO hardware like routers, switches, wireless adapter, cables and PCs to effectively deliver the CISCO CCNA curriculum. Packet tracer software is also installed in computers to simulate the various network configurations and provide a better understanding on the networking concepts. CISCO NetRiders, a National Level competition and various department level competitions related to networking are conducted regularly with the equipments available in this laboratory. Once in a year students from rural schools are invited and the equipments in the laboratory are demonstrated to motivate them to pursue their career in the networking domain.
The following equipments are available in the Cisco Centre of Excellence at Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences.
|1||CISCO 2811 (2800 Series Router)||4|
|2||CISCO 2811—SEC/K9 Router||2|
|3||2960 Catalyst Switch||5|
|4||Linksys Wireless Broadband Router||3|
|5||Adaptive security Appliances ASA5510||2|
|6||C3750X — Layer 3 Switch||1|
|7||IOTF Trainer Kit||2|
|8||CISCO SG350 28 Port Switch||1|
|9||Sparkfun Inventor Kit||1|
|10||Raspberry Pi Kit||1|
|Processor — Pentium 4 processor RAM — 1 GB Operating System — Windows XP Hard Disk — 500 MB||9|
|Processor — Intel core i5 processor RAM — 4 GB Operating System — Windows 8 Hard Disk — 1 TB||8|
|Processor — Intel Core i5 processor RAM — 8 GB Operating System — Windows 8 Hard Disk — 1 TB||12|
List of activities and Training conducted
|Sl.No||Event Name||Date||Resource Person||No. of Participants|
|1||Two days national level workshop on Fog and Cloud computing CCNA||23rd Feb 2018||Dr. Pethuru Raj Chief Architect, Reliance Jio Cloud services, Bangalore.||60|
|24th Feb 2018||Dr. Ganesh Neelakanta Iyar, Technical Support Manager, Progress Software, Hyderabad.|
|2||Hands on Workshop on Networking Skills using Packet Tracer||Sep 8th & 9th 2017||Dr. J. Immanuel John Raja||65|
|3||Training on IP addressing and Subnetting||Jan 29th 2018||Dr. J. Immanuel John Raja||15|
Certification Course Training
|Sl.No||Name of the Course||Instructor||Year||Students Trained|
|1||CCENT||Dr. J. Immanuel John Raja Mrs. P. Getzi Jeba Ms. I. Devapriya||2015-16||20|
|2||CCNA||Dr. J. Immanuel John Raja Mrs. P. Getzi Jeba||2015-16||20|
List of PG Projects and Publications
|ACADEMIC YEAR 2016 - 17|
|1||PR15CS1004||Health Monitoring System with Load Balancing|
|2||PR15CS1011||An Energy Efficient and Reliable Data Collection Scheduling Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks|
|3||PR15IT1003||Quality Link and Effective Node Selection Scheme for Multi-hop Broadcast in VANETs|
|4||PR15IT1005||Improvement of QoS for Mac Protocol Oriented in an Unstable Wireless Sensor Networks|
|5||PR15IT1006||Effective Distributed Denial of Service Detection in Software Defined Networks (SDN)|
|6||PR15IT1007||Fault Node Recovery Algorithm to Improve the Lifetime of a Wireless Sensor Network|
|7||PR15IT1008||A Self-learning Wireless Sensor Networks in the Presence of Transfaulty Nodes|
|8||PR15IT1011||Acknowledgement based Sinkhole Detection Method in WSN|
|ACADEMIC YEAR 2015 - 16|
|1||PR14CS1003||Fuzzy based backup relay node for maximizing life time in wireless sensor network|
|2||PR14CS1005||Multiobjective optimization for relay node deployment in wsn|
|3||PR14CS1007||Reliable data transmission using energy efficient prioritized converge cast scheme for wireless sensor network|
|4||PR14CS1008||Deadline Preserving Data Collection Using CSMA/CD and Earliest Deadline First(EDF) Scheduling in Wireless Sensor Network|
|5||PR14IT1002||Dynamic Sink Mobility for Data Collection in Wireless Sensor Networks|
|6||PR14IT3005||Real Time Bus Tracking System (Establishing MPTCP Connection Implemented On Raspberry Pi)|
|1||Paulraj, Getzi Jeba Leelipushpam, et al. "Resource-aware virtual machine migration in IoT cloud." Future Generation Computer Systems (2018).|
|2||Deva Priya I and Salaja Silas, “A Survey on Research Challenges and Applications in Empowering the SDN based Internet of Things”, ICBCC 18. Springer.|
|3||Getzi Jeba Leelipushpam Paulraj, Sharmila Anand John Francis, J. Dinesh Peter, Immanuel Johnraja Jebadurai, “Route Aware Virtual Machine Migration in Cloud Datacenter”, ICICCT 18. IEEE Conference.|
|4||Shibin David, Mande Rebecca, "Multi Objective Virtual Force Particle Swarm Optimization In Wireless Sensor Networks", International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Research India Publications, 10(12), pp. 31755-31762, July 2015.|
|5||Premnath. K.N, Srinivasan. R, Rajsingh. E.B, “Adapting map-reduce programming model with container based virtualization for self-organizing networks”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Research India Publications, 10(11), pp. 29539-29554, 2015.|
|6||Henock Mulugeta Melaku, Kumudha Raimond and Dereje Hailemariam Woldegebreal, “TCP-PLDR: A Novel Packet Loss Detection and Response Mechanism for TCP in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”, Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, Old City Publisher, 28(3-4), pp. 183-202, 2015|
Student Placements through Certification Training
|1||UR15CS072||David Avaneesh Reddy||Hyundai Mobis, Sopra Steria|
|2||UR15CS190||Celesta||M/S Nutanix India Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore|
|3||UR15CS193||Rohith Raj||Solartis Tech Pvt Ltd|
|4||UR16CS002||Arputham||M/S. Hinduja Global Solutions, Bangalore|
|5||UR16CS023||Arul||M/S. Iota Labs, Pune|
|6||UR13CS026||Bavatharini G||M/S Netapps India Marketing & Services, Bangalore|
|7||UR13CS110||R Rajyashri||M/S Nutanix India Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore|
|8||PR14IT1006||Princelly Jesu A||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
|9||PR14IT1007||Ajayson Nediyaanil||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
|10||PR14IT1011||Dinesh Jeffrine J||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
|11||PR15IT1003||Manoj Murali||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
|12||PR15IT1006||Gobinath M||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
|13||PR15IT1008||Jayas G James||M/S. Css Corp Pvt Ltd, Chennai|
Student and Faculty Certification completion details
|Sl.No||Register Number/ Employee ID||Name of the Student / Faculty||Certification Detail|
Faculty in Charge:
Dr. Getzi Jebaleelipushpam, AP/CST
Ms. Devapriya, AP/CST
Internet of Things (IoT) lab provides an excellent infrastructure to the young IT minds to nurture their innovative ideas, problem solving skills focused on the direction of societal needs. It is an ideal place for an active learning through real world environment. The main objective of this lab is to press on the student towards building of smart and intelligent IoT solutions. This lab is equipped with test bench, connectivity devices, industrial sensors, handheld machines, RFID tags, digital controllers etc to gain insight and understanding of the real world experience. The main focus is on data ingestion, data acquisition, machine learning, visualization and mobility.
- Raspberry Pi Trainer KIT
- All basic Sensors (Heartbeat, Air Quality, Fire etc)
- LoRa WAN
- Desktop Computer
Lab sessions handled by industrial trained faculty members. Two faculty development programs conducted for the benefit of staff members towards this cutting edge technology.
- "Internet of Things (IoT) and its Applications" on 19/11/2019 and 20/11/2019
- "Industrial IoT Training using LoRa WAN Technology" on 6/2/2020 and 7/2/2020