The Department of Biotechnology, started in the year 2005, grew into School of Biotechnology in the year 2007 and evolved into the School of Biotechnology and Health Sciences in the year 2009. The objective of the Department is to provide excellent teaching, practical facilities, research facilities and consultancy services in the frontier areas of Biotechnology.
To raise biotechnologists with potential to innovate and disseminate technical knowledge towards the betterment of the community.
To impart academic excellence, professional competence with ethics to develop processes and valuable bio-products.
To recognize and solve problems pertinent to Water, Food, Health Care and Energy through biotechnology approaches.
Graduates will have ability to:
- PO1: Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of Mathematics, Science and Engineering to solve the problems related to Bio-Technology.
- PO2: Problem analysis: Identify, formulate and analyze the complex problem in Bio-Technology and provide appropriate conclusions using principles of Engineering & Sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex bio-based problems and design process that address the specified needs for the public health, safety and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Design experiments, analyze, interpret data and synthesize information using knowledge based research tools to arrive at valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, software resources and modern engineering tools for prediction and modeling of complex engineering and biotechnology problems in different fields to understand the limitations.
- PO6: The Engineer and Society: Rational use of contextual knowledge to asses societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice and modern biotechnological research and development.
- PO7: Environment and Sustainability: Understand and exhibit the knowledge vital for sustainable development in societal and environmental contexts using the professional engineering and biotechnology solutions.
- PO8: Ethics: Inculcate ethical principles to imbibe professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the Engineering practice and Biotechnology research.
- PO9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, member or leader of diverse teams in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large on complex food material procurement,manufacture and distribution activities and be able to comprehend, document, write effective reports, prepare presentations and exchange of clear instructions and knowledge.
- PO11: Project management and finance: Effectively communicate with engineering community on activities relevant to society at large and comprehend reports & documentation, make effective presentations and exchange clear instructions.
- PO12: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for independent and life-long learning experience for a lucrative professional career.
Graduates will be able to:
- PO 1: Independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO 2: Write and present a substantial technical report/document.
- PO 3: Demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program.
- PO 4: Apply technical knowledge to provide solutions to societal problems and ethical issues conforming to sustainability.
Graduates will be able to:
- PO 1: Acquire problem solving and enterprise skills that contribute to productive and innovative outcomes.
- PO 2: Develop and update domain knowledge relevant to the chosen field to succeed in highly competitive and rapidly changing work environments.
- PO 3: Utilize the acquired knowledge leading to innovation and entrepreneurship in order to eliminate the problems of the society.
- PO 4: Design and conduct experiments, demos, create models to analyze and interpret data.
- PO 5: Perform experiments related to scientific and computational theories and conceive potential technological applications.
- PO 6: Execute collaborative research and scientific communication through projects, internship and on-site training.
- PO 7: Implement solution for social, economic, environmental and other critical issues faced by the community at the local, national and global levels.
Internships done Abroad by Our Students
Testimonies by our Alumni
Karunya has a stunning blend of state of the art infrastructure and highly intellectual faculties who forged my domain knowledge. Four years of my journey with an amazing student community unwrapped a world of open-mindedness in me. Being part of the tech festival, i.e. MINDKRAFT and symposiums with students and faculties, moulded an effective communicator in me, and this has widely influenced my corporate leadership journey in the last ten years. Most importantly, the spiritual atmosphere and the value-based education at Karunya are enabling me to ”Rise and Shine” for Jesus. All glory and honour to Jesus
I am thrilled to share my incredible journey as a B.Tech in Biotechnology student at Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences. Coming from Bangalore,I knew I wanted to pursue a career in Biotechnology, and my time at Karunya has been nothing short of transformative...Read More
I am grateful to the Department of Biotechnology, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, for shaping me into the person I am today. With their unwavering support and commitment to education, I was able to achieve challenging goals throughout my four years of undergraduate study, all while maintaining a merit scholarship and graduating with distinction...Read More
Department of Biotechnology,
Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences,
Coimbatore - 641114