Department of Food Processing Technology
The remarkable growth of the Indian Food Industry, has created the need for qualified and trained personnel in the fields of food processing technology and engineering, food quality analysis, packaging, storage, cold chain management and safety. Considering this, the Department of Food Processing Technology established in 2005, offers degree programs namely Bachelor of Technology, Master of Technology,and Doctor of Philosophy. The department has the unique distinction of having a Centre for Research and Development with Pilot scale level plant and machinery, Food Quality Testing Laboratory, Food Processing and Training Centre to give hands-on training in plant operations and product manufacture. Industry internships, collaboration with food industries, sponsored scholarships, certification courses by national and international certification bodies are some of the highlights of the department.
The degree programs are designed to study the physical, chemical and microbiological makeup of food materials and unit operations involved in processing them. The students are trained in the areas of post-harvest technology of food crops, processing, preservation, packaging and value addition of food, for complete food supply chain management from farm to fork.
The programs offered at the Department of Food Processing Technology prepares the graduates for employment in the following areas:
Food Process Equipment Design and Fabrication
Process and Product Development
Food Production and Waste Management
Food Safety and Standards
Food Quality Assurance
Research and Development
Vision of the Department
Raising proficient Food Processing Engineers and Technocrats to solve the problems of food processing industries, farmers and society.
Mission of the Department
- To raise Food Processing Engineers, academicians, researchers and entrepreneurs with high level of technical knowledge and expertise on par with global standards.
- To develop food technocrats with ethics, attitude, values and abilities to apply the acquired know-how and skills for a productive career and entrepreneurial ventures.
- To address the problems related to food safety and nutritional security through eco-friendly food processing and engineering technologies to serve humanity with care and compassion.
B. Tech. Food Processing and Engineering
Graduates will have ability to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and core engineering specialization to find solutions for solving the problems in food processing Industries.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, analyze complex engineering problems and arrive at proper conclusions using the principles of mathematics, sciences and engineering.
- Design/development of solutions: Propose solutions for complex problems in food engineering, technology and design system components or processes that fulfill the specified needs with appropriate concern and consideration for the public health, safety, cultural, societal and environmental aspects.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research based knowledge and methods including experimental design, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesize information to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select and apply appropriate modern techniques, software resources and information technology tools for the prediction and modeling of complex food processing and engineering activities and to understand the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice, research and development related to food processing technology.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of professional food processing technology solutions in societal and environmental contexts and exhibit the technical knowledge for sustainable development in the food processing sector.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and entrust professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice and research in food processing.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, member or leader in diverse teams and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large on complex food material procurement,manufacture and distribution activities and be able to comprehend, document, write effective reports, prepare presentations and exchange of clear instructions and knowledge.
- Project management and finance: Create competency to understand and demonstrate the knowledge of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work and to manage projects in multidisciplinary team environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning experience in context of technological change for better professional development.
M. Tech. Food Processing and Engineering
Graduates will be able to:
- PO 1: Independently conduct research for the development of eco-friendly and sustainable solutions in the avenues of food processing and preservation.
- PO 2: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with the society at large through technical reports.
- PO 3: Demonstrate a degree of mastery in the fields of food processing and engineering.
- PO 4: Apply technical knowledge to provide wholesome and safe food products and processes to humankind in compliance with the ethical norms.
Dr. K. Thangavel M.Tech, Ph.D
Director, Centre for Food Science and Technology
HOD, Food Processing Technology, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences (Deemed to be University), Karunya Nagar, Coimbatore – 641114, Tamilnadu, India.
Phone: +91422-2614467; Mobile: 09443940969 | Email: [email protected], [email protected]